Nita,

I wrote one to Sen Herb Kohl (Wisconsin Democrat).
I just got back a letter where he thanks me for sharing my thoughts.
He supports sufficient funding for bio-medical research at the
NIH.  I paraphrase: "We must maintain a strong national commitment to
bio-medical research."  Congress appropriated $15.6 billion
for NIH for fiscal year 1999, 12 billion more than the 1998
funding level.  As they consider future funding, he will keep
my views in mind and he will continue to work within our
current tight budget constraints to fund research efforts
at the highest level possible.

It may be just a form letter for this type of inquiry, but I did
hear back at least.

Terry