I have something like what you explained. Arthritis developing around an old
spinal fusion. I have used a TENS unit for years. My orthopedist though they
worked only for muscle spasm. But not necessarily so. You might be able to rent
one for a few months ( 2 ) I think and need a doctor's prescription to do that.
Give it a try.

I don't think you could get a narcotic for that kind of pain. At least not in the
US, and as you said , you don't want that started. Nita