Hey Cynthia,
If you are going to let them know about our dirt, lets tell them ALL about
it,
In East Texas, we have black gumbo, as Cynthia said,  Black gumbo is the
perfect soil to garden in.  It will grow anything that you plant on the 2
days a year the conditions are correct and you can plow it.  Always
remember, stick with black gumbo, and it will stick with you
Also found in east Texas is sand up here in the piney woods, It has no
organic matter, won't hold water 5 min, and has no nutrients what so ever,
but the pines don't care and grow anyway.
In south Texas, we have the wonderful calliche, soft and bottomless when its
wet, and brick hard dry, it resembles the sandy land of east Texas without
pines, but with mesquite and pear
And in the hill country where I grew up, we have no soil at all, just
limestone rock. Digging a post hole is easy here, just fire up the jack
hammer and punch in your hole.  For big holes like septic tanks, use 1/2
stick of dynamite.....

While (hopefully) telling this in a humorous light, all the above is also
quite true for those who thought I was kidding.
Tex