Teresa V.B. wrote:

> My mother has excruciating pain in the neck and head during OFF times.  Her
> worst symptom is rigidity and it manifests itself all over but most severely
> in the neck and head.  Even when she is ON she has a constant dull ache in
> her head.

Barbara has taken all the fun of Care Giving!
She too had been complaining of very painful sore in the right side of
the neck aggravated when masticating.  With her high sensitivity to
pain, neither two Ibuprofen tablets nor acetaminophen (Tylenol) provided
relief.  The emotional pain could be barely alleviated with good ice
cream, so Wednesday evening soon after taking the last regular Sinemet
25/100 of the day, allowing 30 minutes, she ambled to the kitchen, took
the Ben and Jerry and started to scoop it out, but as she dug hard and
scooped up, retropulsion took over.  She flew backward with her head
colliding with the floor with a loud scream that could not match the
sound of the impact.  I ran from the 'puter room and she was writhing in
pain holding her neck and head with marked dyskinesia.  I called
security of Greenspring Village, the retired community, and three men
came within two minutes with aid kits.  They did not want to risk any
further damage so they called 911 and four men and one woman of the
rescue squad arrived within minutes with the ambulance.  They put a
brace around her neck, tied her to a board and a litter and took her to
the local hospital around 11 PM.  I followed a few minutes later after I
called my daughter Leah to let her know because she was angry last time
her mother was shipped to the hospital.  When I arrived at the emergency
desk, Leah was waiting and then we both waited and waited to hear
something, until the pill timer sounded med time for the Sinemet CR
50/200.  We convinced the guard to let us in and offer the med, but the
nurse did not allow it until the doctor ok'ed it.  About an hour later,
she was released from the neck yoke and allowed her medications.
Well, after a series of X-rays and a cat scan, Barbara was declared fit
to go home, no fractures, no serious concussions.  We returned home
around 04:30 AM, washed up and retired.
The following day, I was taking the second half of a 55/alive class from
AARP to secure a certificate that would reduce my car insurance.  I was
fortunate that very little was missed in that class during my snoozes.
We had notified our primary doc and our neuro who were on call, but only
the neuro's office called back to make an appointment with our highly
esteemed Dr. Linda Sigmund whose clientele is likely over 90% PD.  She
strongly admonished to take her wheels (cart) wherever she goes even in
the apartment.
So, the same evening, after being careful the whole day, pushing her
wheels by the table into the dining room with no problems.  Then, as she
was ready for bed, she took her robe and spread it high in the air onto
the bed as she took another backward leap ending with her head hitting
the corner of the night stand and the dresser.  The only damage this
time, was a cut on the ear lobe and a bruised ego.  As a former medic, I
remembered how to clean and dress minor wounds.  The big wounds of
sharing a miserable disease is no joy.
I should not complain, Leah came to visit in the after to attend her
mother and was later joined by her husband to have dinner together at a
local Japanese restaurant where the cook performed with the utensils.
'Carpe Diem' under duress can still be a pleasure if we don't take life
too seriously.
Wow!  I had not intended to write a pamphlet, but just a 'typical' page
of our history.

Michel Margosis