At many hardware stores you can find ultra sonic pest control units which you
plug into a
wall socket. You may need several -- They got rid of my "non existent squirrels.
I am allergic to even the non allergic pest controls , but these things work. You
might try just one and see if they bother your children's ears. When my daughter
come home, she takes them all out of the wall. I don't know about fleas - do you
have pets?  I once had a cat defleaded ( sp? )  several times and she roamed
about the house picking up the ones in the carpet. She did not volunteer for this
job -- the vet said it would work and it did. Helped the vet also ( honest , his
charges were not too bad ) , Nita