On Being a Successful Parkinsonian
by
Bill
Harshaw

 Few of us know how we would react to having a new companion join us
uninvited in midlife and stay on regardless of the fact that we wsh him to
leave.  Perhaps a real world analogy will make my point more clearly.

 Most of us remember Day of the Jackal, a thriller about the terrorist
Carlos, who was responsible for many political assassinations, but evaded
capture for over two decades.

 Imagine being told that you were Carlos' next target.  How would you react?
How would your family and friends take the news and the wait until he takes
a shot at you or he is captured?  In this parable Carlos is Parkinson's, we
are the target and the medical community are the police.

 Once we have Parkinson's, after taking some basic steps to mitigate the
symptoms, we should get on with our lives rather than devoting precios
energy to things that won't make a difference.

 Humanity always surprises and astonishes tself by doing the unexpected.
Those everyone thinks will bear up well under adversity don't and vice
versa.  As you get used to having Parkinson's as a lifelong companion and
you learn to anticipate its responses to th way you do things, there will be
more time available to read and think, to formulate answers to questions
like "Why me?" or "Why not me" or to think about a topic you haven't
considered before.

 We usually think of Parkinson's as a debilitating movement disorder, which,
of course, it is.  There is hwever, another dimension.  While movement
becomes more constrained, a patient has two courses of action open to him:
to passively accept the changes pD has wrought in his body; or to actively
explore the question: "What new freedom do I have that I did not have
before?"

 As the body becomes less flexible, the mind can become more subtle and
discerning as it comes to terms with Parkinson's.  I do not mean to belittle
the restrictions PD puts on the patient or ignore the ways it can disrupt
the lives of caregivers.  Instead, if you can recognize that, along with
physical constraints, there are new freedoms that can truly liberate your
spirit, you release yourself frm the bondage of Psrkinson's.

 In the workplace, my manager was convinced by my tremor that I had a
drinking problem and was all set to send me to the Donwoods Institute, a
substance abuse treatment centre.  He hadn't bothered talking to me about
the tremor, and in any event wasn't the sort of fellow who le the facts
influence his decisions.   I ultimately took my case to the Chairman of the
Comany.

 There was a very positive aspect to having to explain that Parkinson's was
the reason for my tremor.  For the first time, I thought thrrough the
imlications of PD, for me and my employer.

 If the mild social embarrassment of appearing perpetually hungover was all
there was to PD, we would be fortunate indeed.