I am a relatively new member of the list..,and one of the 73 'leavers an
joiners' in the past month.  I learned about the list while cleaning my
livingroom (I found  a newspaper article in the spring under my couch which
listed the list's URL).  I subscribed to the list in August and lurked for a
week, astounded at the volume of mail coming in daily.  I am part of two
other (non-PD) academic list serves and it was hard to keep up with the
volume...that and being new to PD info, I was intimidated by medical words I
didn't understand and by the personal jokes, etc. all of which left me
feeling 'out of the loop".  So I unsubscribed for a number of days.
Then...while feeling that void again remembered...   certain voices
(including Michel's and Janet's) were welcoming : in the end I did not know
where esle I could get the amount of PD info offered here.  SO I
resubscribed, thinking " I will only read messages on weekends ".  Now I
check it daily and print off relevant messages for my mother who revels in
the PD info. she did not have before.

As an educator I am researching information technology and the nature of how
we use the internet.  Does it change the nature of the way we think?
Perhaps 15 years ago none of us had an opportunity to participate in this
kind of global discussion.   If any of us has to experience some aspect of
PD, we are blessed to have a cyber community to share it in. To see all
levels of debate  on this list serve is healthy.  It is a community evolving
as it goes, like any other.  My concern is always with those who don't have
access to a computer or to the net. They are the ones who suffer is
isolation.  If I could advocate for anything it would be to give every PWP a
computer with free  internet access and  every neurologist an on-line crash
course in PD designed by the very people who contribute to this list.

All this in the last 22 days, simply because I decided to clean under my
couch!

Serendipity?

Joan U