To: "Hawkins, Darwin"<[log in to unmask]>
From: Will A. Kuipers<[log in to unmask]>

Re: Non PD - True?

"Hawkins, Darwin" wrote:

> The news media has again distorted and twisted their coverage of this
> action. While I am a Christian and truly believe in Creationism, I think
> their stance is somewhat, but not totally wrong. I have no objection towards
> the teaching of any theories, as long as there is a balance and some are not
> excluded. I even study other religions which in a way strengthens my own.

Will:
So, after severely chastizing the media, it is grudgingly admitted that they are
"not totally wrong".

Hawkins, Darwin:

> What the State Board of Education actually did was delete the requirement in
> competency testing for including questions on evolution. They have done
> nothing with regard to deleting the teaching of evolution from any schools
> curriculum, the students just will not be subjected to knowing this subject
> in standardized competency tests developed by the state to measure academic
> progress.
>
> Quite a big difference from what has been promulgated by the news media.

Will:
Let me get this straight:
Deleting the requirement in competence testing for including questions on
evolution is not expected to affect the availability of teachers with training
in this subject.
The subject will still magically appear on any school curriculum and students,
who will be prevented from having to know the subject in standardized competency
tests, will still be taught, apparently by unqualified teachers. I don't think
so. I think evolution for one will not be taught any longer!
This is called a balance in teaching about theories?
IMHO this is a lot worse than what the news media are said to have promulgated!

Will A. Kuipers    Dallas, Texas     78 / 71