Amantadine Withdrawal                                 26 Aug 99

Judith, your recent posting should be a serious warning to users
of amantadine (Symmetrel) that if they ever want to quit, they
must taper off slowly and carefully. It bothers me that this
might be news to them, because it's been in the good old PDR,
all along.

Amantadine is one of several neurological drugs whose abrupt
withdrawal may on rare occasion cause a life-threatening syndrome
_similar_ to Neuroleptic Malignant Syndrome (NMS). The pedantic
definition of NMS is reserved (by hair-splitters) for a condition
caused by use of a neuroleptic (antipsychotic) drug, so the PDR
articles always carefully avoid calling it that, but the effects
are strikingly similar, including: extremely high fever, mental
or consciousness deficit, muscle disintegration (indicated by
plentiful myoglobin from dead muscle cells) and very swift onset.

This Abrupt Withdrawal Syndrome (for lack of a better name) has
been reported for other common PD drugs, for example tolcapone
(Tasmar) and, guess what? our familiar levodopa/carbidopa
(Sinemet)! Moral: Run, don't walk, to your PDR and READ IT!

Cheers,
Joe
--
J. R. Bruman   (818) 789-3694