Boy did that list trigger memories.  Remember Ipana toothpaste?  Winkie Dink (they sent you a sheet of plastic to put on your   TV screen so you could draw on it and connect the dots to solve the mystery)
    -----Original Message-----
    From: will johnston <[log in to unmask]>
    To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
    Date: Tuesday, August 24, 1999 10:34 PM
    Subject: Re: NON PD - Age and Memory Barometer

    How old is dirt?  +++see notes in text+++

    ----------
    From: Hawkins, Darwin <[log in to unmask]>
    To: [log in to unmask]
    Subject: NON PD - Age and Memory Barometer
    Date: Tuesday, August 24, 1999 11:52 AM

    > Are you still young???

    This sure did bring back some wonderful (and not so wonderful) memories for
    me. I think I know what number 9 was (a brand of tennis shoe?). Number 20
    was probably cartoon characters on TV, an appliance we didn't have in the
    hills of Arkansas. All the rest are just as if it were yesterday!

    > Count how many you can remember...  and then check the bottom.
    >
    > 1. Blackjack chewing gum +++remember chewing gum tree sap? The stuff we
    called "retread" back during WWII?
    > 2. Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water.
    > 3. Candy cigarettes +++smoked grape vines,
    > 4. Soda pop machines that dispensed bottles.  ++for 5cents++Pepsi Cola
    hits the spot. Twelve full ounces; that's a lot. Twice as much for a nickel
    too, Pepsi Cola is the drink for you.
    > 5. Coffee shops with tableside jukeboxes.  ++Put another nickel in, in
    the nickelodeon, all I want is loving and music, music, music.....Theresa
    Brewer
    > 6. Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers++How about
    the dipper to take cream off the top in the days before homogenization?
    > 7. Party lines...++Remember the old phones with no dial...Just a crank to
    signal central
    > 8. Newsreels before the movie. +++Saturday matinees with 3 serials?
    > 9. P.F. Flyers..++The old Keds with no tread to pick up mud etc.
    > 10. Butch wax++Vaseline hair tonic? Anamacassers to protect  the
    furniture?
    > 11. Telephone numbers with a word prefix (Olive -6933) +++What about long
    distance where the operator had to ring through connecting cities to route
    a call?
    > 12. Peashooters..++What about rubber guns? [a short piece of wood (abt 10
    inches) with a spring clothes in on one end.  The projectile was a round
    slice of inner-tube [before tubeless tires] stretched from one end to the
    clothes pin.  Open the pin and the rubber flies!
    > 13. Howdy Doody.+++Remember the Muntz TV.  Don't sit there watching your
    radio! Buy a Muntz TV!
    > 14. 45 RPM records++Remember when the 78's changed from shellac to vinyl?
    I still have a few 78's recorded on only one side!
    > 15. S&H Green Stamps. +++Remember the song by the Brothers Four to the
    tune of Greensleeves? The tune is before the stamps.
    > 16. Hi-fi's.. Remember when hi fi was only a portion of a drunken giant's
    eating song?  Remember Cook Records.  The sounds of our times on monaural
    or on binaural which had a separate track and tone arm for left and right?
    > 17. Metal ice trays with levers. Remember the pasteboard sign with the
    numbers 10, 20, 25, 50 ? The sign was to be placed in the window. Which
    number was at the top told the iceman how much ice to leave?
    > 18. Mimeograph paper.  Hectograph? The pan of waxy gelatin on which you
    would place the master and then lift it out carefully and put in blank
    paper a sheet at a time?
    > 19. Blue flashbulbs. ++Flash powder?
    > 20. Beanie and Cecil..++ Tom Mix's horse "Tony"?
    > 21. Roller skate keys. +++Skiing on barrel staves?
    > 22. Cork popguns. +++A .22 short rifle to put  squirrel meat on the table
    in the depression or WW II.
    > 23. Drive-ins...The first drive in was Fortune's Jungle Garden in
    Memphis, TN. [back then they would spell out the states all the way]
    > 24. Studebakers+++Commanders? Champion? The Lark and the Avanti came
    late. Steadybreaker made the first production car where you could not tell
    whether it was coming or going. Terraplanes, Essexes, Willys, Graham-Paige,
    LaSalle's.... Like Archie and Edith Bunker said, "Those were the days."
    > 25. Wash tub wringers. +++Remember when any owner of a washing machine
    would be proud to have it sitting on the front  porch?

    > If you remembered 0-5 = You're still young
    > If you remembered 6-10 = You are getting older
    > If you remembered 11-15 = Don't tell your age
    > If you remembered 16-25 = You're older than dirt!
    >+++
    Those of us who remember the really old ones are pre-cambrians of the
    Oolitic period.