Dear Joan-- you've had some good responses already. Just to emphasize, let
me say that there are support groups, and then there are SUPPORT groups.
Our PD group is small, and over the years Peter and I have been in it the
primary focus has been educational, rather than one of developing
one-to-one intimacy, though that does happen in some instances.   Partly
it's because we are in a small town and draw folks from the area, so it's
harder to see each other between meetings.  The pattern has been to have
about 1/3 of the monthly meetings with a subject  and/or speaker, 1/3
general open discussion, and at one time the final 1/3 was for splitting
the group. Haven't done that lately--too small (?) and no apparent
interest, which I regret.

On the other hand, I also belong to a general CG support group which
includes CGs for patients with stroke, Alzheimer's, MSA, etc.  This is
never more than 6 or 7, but several of us (women) are friends already, and
the support is intimate, frank and very helpful.  We often gather for lunch
between meetings, thanks to a wonderful facilitator , former Hospice social
worker, who sets the tone of warmth and  intimacy.

So yes, groups vary---the CG group never has a speaker--it's all sharing on
a personal level,with resources provided also.  In some cases I suspect a
"hybrid" would meet more folks' needs--with some of both types of meetings.
Our CG group rejected the idea of "programs" in favor of open unplanned
sharing--but that's just what pleases the current participants, not a
"rule".   I liked the idea someone gave you of find a few folks in the
group and getting together informally to get better acquainted--others may
feel as you do that they want more intimacy.  There does need to be a
leader or facilitator who can keep track of how folks are doing, keep
meetings moving so that one person doesn't monopolize the time,everyone who
wants to talk can, etc., and provide appropriate resources.
That makes a big difference. Hope all the replies have been helpful!

>I keep reading how important support groups are...can you tell me what's
>supposed to go on in a support group (in person groups and not like the
>LIST)...I've gone to one at the local hospital (recommended as a good one by
>the neuro)   and stopped going about 3-4 months ago...they have a speaker
>come and talk with questions and answers...and that's pretty good...although
>very few in the audience talk as a group....sometimes the questions and
>answers are allowed during the speech and he doesn't get through with his
>talk....and everybody leaves and goes wherever they have to go...other
>times, they can't get a speaker and get a "fill in" which doesn't go over
>too big as he usually is not  versed in PD and his answers are "again, check
>with your doctor."   I even missed a couple of meetings as they gave up
>sending out flyers.....There's got to be more to an in-person  support group
>than I've been exposed to.  Plsl tell lme what is supposed to happen....thx.
>Joan

        Camilla Flintermann,            <[log in to unmask]>
        CG for Peter, 81/70/55                   co-owner, CARE list

             "If the only tool you have is a hammer,
                    everything looks like a nail. "
                        ----Abraham Maslow