Nita Andres wrote:

> I was going to write Ken off list, but don't all of you think it would be a good
> idea to decide what you want. Basic research or surgical centers - just what? Or
> have him choose?    Nita

I'd be glad to give you my opinion, and you can delete it if you don;t want it.
I deem basic research far ahead of surgical centers.  Surgical centers are good as
palliatives which can last from a few months to a few years and sometimes even
longer.  Surgery does not cure and the disease is still present, and sometimes
surgery may adversily affect the PWP.  Pallidotomy changes the characteristics of
the brain itself by a careful 'scorching' of the pallidum, and once that is done, it
is irreversible. When, not if, but when a cure is found, the natural synthesis of
L-dopamine will be resumed assuming the brain is still functionning in a natural
manner.  If the alteration of the pallidum interferes with the natural function of
the brain, the cure for those who had incurred the pallidotomy may not be
available.  Emotionally,  I can empathize with those PWP who want some relief from
the misery of tremors and dyskenesia.  In other words, surgery is till only a
stop-gap relief.

Basic research is the only way in my mind to relieve the misery of PD.  When the
cure is found, it will be universal, that is for all PWP, instead of those who can
afford temporary relief by surgery.  My money and faith is totally in basic
research, be it in foetal transplants inter or intra species, recombinant DNA
(genetic manipulation), and foremost at this time is the most promising of all is
with stem cells.

Keep the faith, a cure is coming, and I wish us to be  young enough to avail
ourselves of it.