Camilla wrote:
>>Michel wrote:
<But the worse part of that, is that it repelled many newcomers
>who wanted to discuss strictly PD matters, and some old timers
>who could not cope with the inordinate size or number of the E-mail,
>and felt forced to abandon us...

Janet replied:
...if not, i suggest that your statements are not only false
but negative and inflammatory and awfulizing and catastrophizing
viz the emotional baggage of your words
'worst' 'repelled' 'inordinate' 'forced' and 'abandon'

My "perception" of this paragraph is that it is a personal attack on Michel
who was stating what was, I believe, an accurate summary of many past posts
to the list.  I have to admit I cringed when I read it. I realize you may
not have intended it as an attack, but as vigorous discourse, and haven't
understood how your words may come across to others.   Unfortunately, as
you have often pointed out, perceptions can vary---and that is why I AGAIN
suggest that when such disagreements arise they may better be clarified
one-to-one rather than on the whole list---this has become, after all , a
"non-pd" matter  .   No one is suggesting censorship or throttling your
voice, or trying to control you--- but you ASKED to have this pointed out
to you, so I am granting your request,  in the hope that you may be able to
temper your tone  when you realize how it  can affect others.<<

there seems to be embellishment of nouns by adjectives that are emotive
in what Michel typed  - and response via the same technique. If one
reads a paragraph and gets "steamed up", a superb cognitive awareness
will notice this - and the reader will sort out the emotive from the
factual - a good thing to learn

the writing training of the author and the character in "a river ran
through it" was to reduce the prior draft to half the number of words.

this tends to just state the facts. we need these. tabloid journalism we
do not benefit from for the most part.

this is getting too long - but, one more thought/comment: distorting the
reality is detrimental

usually, it is ...but,
mirroring how one is treated can be distorted to achieve an objective

if a grouchy, unhappy, bothersome, unfriendly person never gives or gets
a smile - one can attempt to teach such a codger that being friendly by
being a mirrror that reflects joy and pleasure in some part of the
person's attire, attention, hair being combed, some little things that
can be said with a smile

we cannot do this in email
but we can find some good words to generously criticize our perceived
attackers choices

ron

Ron Vetter 1936, '84 PD dz
mailto:[log in to unmask]