Perhaps this will help. The Aug.23 edition of the Wall Street Journal had a
front page article about  contributions that had recently been made by the
Bill Gates Foundation. Some of the  monies went to cancer and aids research.
The important part is that more contributions will be made.

As I understand it from people who have applied for grants there is a
procedure that is followed. This information and procedure is available
usually from a public library. When a grant is applied for it is to the
foundation and not to Gates himself. Also these applications are usually made
by organizations.

It does seem to me that it certainly would be worthwhile for some of the
national organizations to do this. It might not be successful, but it
certainly would be fantastic if it would

Hope this helps

Lorraine Jeffe