Hilary Blue wrote:

 Once again, I agree with you totally. The health care provided for the
 so-called 'indigent' is woefully inadequate. Not only PWPs but right across
 the board. THere are many diseases going undiagnosed and untreated. And I
 believe this will be a political issue - should be, MUST be -
 on a local, state and federal level. But this is not specific to PD. I'm not
 suggesting we abandon these people. I'm just suggesting - hoping - that others
 will adddress their needs.

 Meanwhile there are those among us, members of our own communities - members
 of this list - who are facing hardship. Individuals who are known to us
 personally through the net, or support groups, or maybe we've met them at a
 conference. Or just heard their stories on the list. BUt they are people with
 names (and sometimes faces) that we recognise. Who are having hard times.
 Maybe a marriage is breaking up because the strains of dealing with PD have
 baecome too great. Maybe someone is facing foreclosure because the cost of the
 disease has overtaken his financial resources - maybe someone does not have
 medical insurance. or cannot afford the medication or has lost his job becuse
 of PD but doesnt qualify for SSI -  whatever.

 What i am trying to say is that there are people close to home that need help.
 We don't have to go out and look for them. I dont know how we would put this
into practice, but wouldnt it be nice if there ws some kind of fund that people
 on the list could tap into in their time of need - maybe get low interest
 loans, or outright gifts. Or even some sort of pension fund.  TO supplement
the woefully inadequate Social Security payments - but without prejudicing the
rights to those payments. It is all very complex. Sometimes the assistance
needed is not simple money.
 The cost of adequate care is very high to those who do not have it. Not all of
 us are blessed with spouses or adult children capable of caring for us
 Maybe one of the large home health agencies would sponsor  home care to some
needy individuals. THe field is ripe for investigation - into supply and
demand. We dont even know what people need, let alone how to fill those needs.

I suggest that this area is as important a one for investigation and funding
as finding the cure. Because we have to stay alive to get the cure. And for
some of us, just  a little extra financial support may make that difference.

Hilary Blue