HELP WITH MAIL VOLUME

Below is the response to a FAQ about List Mail volume .  I
will repost
this at intervals to asssist new members  who are struggling
with this
issue. If anyone has any additions or corrections please
write to me off
list and I will make the necessary  changes.  It would be of
help if
some of you can make up other sets of instructions for other
mail
programs.

Q.  The PARKINSN List overwhelms my e-mail box so that other
mail
gets
lost in the large number of list posts.  What can I do short
of leaving
the list to manage the volume of mail that I get and be able
to read it
at my leisure?

A.  The PARKINSN list has over 1800 subscribers (at the time
of this
revision). Even though many of our members choose not to
actively
contribute this large membership results in hundreds of
contributions
per week.  Since we want to make the list serve the varying
needs of as
large a percentage of the PD community as possible and to
have fun
there
will inevitably be large numbers of posts that you will find
that you
don't have time for or are not interested in.  You will find
specific
subjects or  people whose posts you want to read and those
that you
would just as soon skip.
What follows is a list of suggestions of ways to approach
the list
volume and following this are further FAQ's describing each
method in
more detail. All rely on a heavy but hopefully selective
finger on the
delete key.

1.  Allow list messages to mix with other mail.  This
requires a fair
amount of time and almost daily review of email.  It can
also work if
you don't use e-mail for anything else.  But, if you let
messages build
up in your mailbox a few days you may find yourself losing
your non-list
mail in the large volume that the list generates.

2. If you have more than one e-mail address you can put all
PARKINSN
related material in one address and download it as a
separate logged-in
individual.  This requires one to think ahead and download
from the
address only when you are logged on for PD.

3. Use the DIGEST function incorporated into the list.  This
takes care
of the problem but when it bunches all the correspondence
from the day
into one or two long messages it makes it harder to read and
harder to
delete from since you have to delete all or none**.  It also
becomes
less spontaneous since there may be as long as 24 hours
between
Digests.

4. (RECOMMENDED) Create a separate mailbox within you own
computer just
for list mail. Each mail program is different but most have
this
ability.  This separates list and non-list mail using
filters from list
mail. Then one can go through all the list mail at your
leisure,
allowing it to build up for a few days or responding
immediately. I use
netscape so I will describe how to accomplish #4 with that
e-mail
program.  If you wish info as to other programs you can ask
on the list
and hopefully they will be incorporated in this FAQ.

Instructions for NETSCAPE
1. Open Communicator
2. Pull-down Menu click Communicator then Messenger (Or
cntl+2)
3. Pull down EDIT then choose MESSAGE FILTERS.
4. A Message box Entitled Message filters will open Click
NEW
5. A Message box will open entitled FILTER RULES
6. Fill in filter name PARKINSN
7. (Click) MATCH ALL OF THE FOLLOWING the (select) TO of
the message
(select) CONTAINS PARKINSN (type in with exact spelling)
then
(select)
MOVE TO  FOLDER (click) New folder.
8. A box comes up "new folder". (Type) name: PARKINSN Create
as
Subfolder of (Click) INBOX (Click) OK. (click) OK. (Click)
OK.
9. That should do it.

For Outlook express You must first create the folders to
accept your
incoming e-mail messages. In my case I created one called
New PD
Messages and another one called Non-PD messages.

Then do the following: Open the "Tools" menu. Choose "Rules
Wizard..."
Choose "New". Click on "Check messages when they arrive."
Click on
"Next." Click on the little box corresponding to "from
people or
distribution list." In the lower window insert "Parkinsn".
Click on
"Next". Click on the little box corresponding to "move it to
the
specified folder." In the lower window insert "New PD
Messages". Click
on "Next". Click on the little box correstponding to
"except if the
subject contains specific words." In the lower window type
in
"Non-PD".
Click on "Next". Label this rule name New Parkinsn Messages
or
whatever
you desire. Make sure to checkmark the little box to turn on
the rule.
Click on "Finish." To place your Non-PD messages in a
different folder
repeat the above steps but make sure you specify that your
subject must
contain Non-PD.

Contributed by Teresa V. Bohuszewicz **

Gordon Fercho contributes the
following regarding this: Select the message you want to
delete;  then
depress the delete key on the keyboard and it will
disappear. When you
close the digest processor message it asks you if you want
to save the
changes.  Click on SAVE and that's it.  You'll have retained
only those
messages you did not select and delete. Good luck

Thanks also to Ron Vetter

Charlie

--

Charles T. Meyer,  M.D.