-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: Bonnie Rowley <[log in to unmask]>
Aan: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Datum: zondag 29 augustus 1999 17:32
Onderwerp: janet - Re: Unilateral pallidotomy in PD obsolete!!!

Brain 1999 Mar;122 ( Pt 3):417-25

Reassessment of unilateral pallidotomy in Parkinson's disease. A 2-year
follow-up study.

Samii A, Turnbull IM, Kishore A, Schulzer M, Mak E, Yardley S, Calne DB
Neurodegenerative Disorders Centre, Vancouver Hospital and Health Sciences
Centre, BC, Canada.

Unilateral pallidotomy has gained popularity in treating the motor symptoms
of Parkinson's disease. We present the results of a 2-year post-pallidotomy
follow-up study. Using the Unified Parkinson's Disease Rating Scale (UPDRS),
the Goetz dyskinesia scale and the Purdue Pegboard Test (PPBT), we evaluated
20 patients at regular intervals both off and on medications for 2 years
post-pallidotomy. There were no significant changes in the dosages of
antiparkinsonian medications from 3 months pre-pallidotomy to 2 years
post-pallidotomy. On the side contralateral to the operation, the
improvements were preserved in 'on'-state dyskinesia (83% reduction from
pre-pallidotomy to 2 years post-pallidotomy, P < 0.001) and 'off'-state
tremor (90% reduction from pre-pallidotomy to 2 years post-pallidotomy, P =
0.005). There were no statistically significant differences between
pre-pallidotomy scores and those at 2 years post-pallidotomy in ipsilateral
dyskinesia, axial dyskinesia, 'off'- or 'on'-state PPBT, 'off'-state
Activities of Daily Living (ADL) and 'off'-state gait and postural
stability. After 2 years, the 'on'-state ADL scores worsened by 75%,
compared with pre-pallidotomy (P = 0.005). We conclude that 2 years after
pallidotomy, the improvements in dyskinesia and tremor on the side
contralateral to pallidotomy are preserved, while the initial improvements
in most other deficits disappear, either because of progression of pathology
or loss of the early efficacy achieved by surgery.

Comment in: Brain 1999 Mar;122 ( Pt 3):381-2
PMID: 10094251, UI: 99192064
----