Hi Joan,

>any advice to offer for anyone in search of
>surplus computers for PD support groups?...Once 'connected' to the net, it
>means PDs can search for vital info. (like whether Canada allows PDs to
>qualifiy for disability pension...which I have yet to answer for my
>mother...and other immediate health-related questions).

You should probably ask local large firms, they may well be throwing
things out.

However, I wouldn't bother, because:
        - The cost of computers has dropped so far (and will probably keep
          dropping) that it costs more in a technician's time to fix up an
          old machine than it does to buy a new one.
        - If those old machines are being thrown out because they aren't
          powerful enough, they won't be powerful enough to surf the web
          easily
        - If those old machines are being thrown out because they aren't
          Y2K compliant, you're only going to get a few months out of them :-)

I just bought a very acceptable machine for £300 (about $450, but
everything's cheaper in the US :-). WebTV and the like are cheaper
still. Some places are now giving machines away.

Generally, its in the world's economic interest to get Internet
access down to the same price bracket as TV. And that will happen
quickly.

Governments are starting to give free web access to their population
- because it makes them more efficient.

I would suggest your time is better spent:
        - Creating resources on the Internet so that there's something for
          people to access when they get on the Internet :-)
        - Raising money
        - Otherwise helping the cause (the world has enough computer
          technicians and precious few people who understand Parkinson's and
          are willing to help)

(I went through this thought process myself BTW - Do I launch a major
web access initiative, or do I try and create stuff to read? I did
the stuff to read....)

Simon
--------- My opinions are my own, NIP's opinions are theirs ----------
Simon J. Coles                                 Email: [log in to unmask]
New Information Paradigms                  Work Phone: +44 1344 753703
http://www.nipltd.com/                     Work Fax:   +44 1344 772510
=============== Life is too precious to take seriously ===============