Hi all,
    The process I use to remove labels and/or the remaining glue from bottles/jars is as follows.
Fill the container with very hot water, but do not wet the outside of the jar.
Leave it for a few minutes. This softens the glue.
Tip out the water and rub off the glue with a tissue dipped in olive oil. This removes the glue in almost all cases. Some need a second go.
So far I have had success in removing labels from all the plastic and glass containers that I have tried this on.
The beauty of this method is that it is totally non toxic.
Olive oil will also remove the glue that is sometimes left behind on the skin after sticking plaster (band-aid) is removed. This is what a doctor advised whilst bandaging me up after a small operation
and that is where my idea originated. Happy recycling, from Erika.