Hi Roberta,

Laurentian has a "Rhetoric Stream" in its undergrad English program--in
some ways equivalent to a minor, I suppose.  Students have to take 6
credits of History of Rhetoric (1 semester Classical to Renaissance, 1
semester Renaissance to Contemporary) as well as a full-year Composition
and Rhetorical Theory course.  As well, they have to take 6 credits (2
half courses or 1 full course) of "rhetoric electives"--such as
linguistics, creative writing, writer's voice course, professional
writing, etc.--and one 3-credit upper year seminar with a rhetoric focus
(the content of these seminars changes from year to year, depending on the
interests and expertise of whoever's teaching them; I have taught, for
example, seminars on Rhetoric and Feminist Theory, Rhetoric and
Professional Writing, Writing in the Disciplines, and Writing Theory and
Pedagogy.)

I guess I'm an example of an academic who is largely (though not
exclusively) responsible for our Rhetoric Stream offerings and also for
the English side of our WAC program and writing centre.  I'm not sure I'd
recommend this situation, however--it's hard to have a substantive
rhetoric program with only one main rhetoric person who doesn't teach
full-time because of other responsibilities.  Of course, others in my
department contribute to the Rhetoric Stream--otherwise, we wouldn't be
able to offer it--but they are pulled in many other directions as well.
This is the reality of being a small department in a small university!

Let me know if you'd like any further info.

Philippa

P. S. Waterloo has a very popular public speaking course, offered out its
Drama program.  I attend somewhat to public speaking in the context of my
rhetoric courses, but not in great depth.