Hi Roberta,

At the U of C, we have two core rhetoric courses within our program in
Communications: Coms 361 and Coms 461. (I include the calendar
descriptions below.) When I was at U of Waterloo, they had 4 undergrad
rhetoric courses. Here at the U of C, in my position as Director of the
Effective Writing Program, I occasionally teach the Coms 361 and a
Technical Writing course (Coms 363), oversee the writing centre, try to
promote WAC (not a real program/requirement here), offer some credit
courses in Academic Writing, oversee the administration of our Effective
Writing test, and oversee the provision of a set of non-credit courses
in Effective Writing. We have the advantage of having our Writing
Centre/Effective Writing Program housed within the Faculty of General
Studies, an interdisciplinary faculty which offers a BA in
Communications as well as in other interdisciplinary areas (eg Women's
Studies, Canadian STudies, Development Studies); as such, it's not a
"model" that can be easily imitated elsewhere with different faculty and
curricular structures in place.

Coms 361: Spoken and Written Discourse. An introduction to the
principles of written and spoken discourse as informed by both classical
and modern rhetorical theory. Tutorial sections provide extensive
practice in producing variuos forms of discourse.

Coms 461: History and Applications of Rhetoric. A study of key
rhetorical theories from their roots in the classical period to the
modern age, with an emphasis on the development of theories in response
to changes in social, political and philosophical climate. Theories will
be applied to the production of both spoken and written discourse.

Jo-Anne Andre
U of Calgary