hi all

At 16:23 1999/09/03 +0200, bern wrote:
>Janet I am so pleased that you are alright. Your poem did touch me
>but then nowadays so much touches me that I did not consciously see
>before Parkinon's. A piece of music .a child that is in distress,
>a poverty stricken person anywhere in the world. My heart goes out
>to them. Is it possibly all this Sinamet.? Does it cause our brains
>to react differently or is it Old Age creeping up.? ...

Our brain chemistry is an amazing micro-internet all on its own. I think that there is a great deal more to pd than its physical symptoms. There is a definite link with clinical depression; dopamine is associated with addiction, euphoria, has been named 'the feel good' neurotransmitter. [funny - Dr. Burns' book on cd is called 'Feeling Good']

One of the secondary symptoms of pd is 'a tendency to tears'. Since tears are a physical manifestation of strong emotion, I tend to think that this symptom description is a tad limited.

I would venture a guess that pd changes our brain chemistry in a way that makes us more vulnerable and open to emotions; brings them all up closer to the surface. And I am starting to think that this emotionality is something separate from simply a reaction [anger, denial, etc. to our pd diagnosis and the ongoing daily realities of our 'affliction']

>I tell everone that I meet,  I will live to be a hundred, Parkinson
>or no Parkinson. I want to see the civilisation jump in the next
>thirty years. Perhaps I too will be able to go to Mars or even the
>Moon. I have alwayss been an optimist so perhaps I will reach the
>100 mark.

if i've done my arithmetic right
when i join you on board the Mars-Mambo-Express
i will only be 82!

janet

janet paterson
52 now / 41 dx / 37 onset
613 256 8340 po box 171 almonte ontario canada K0A 1A0
a new voice: <http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Village/6263/>