hi all

At 20:52 1999/09/03 -0700, marg wrote:
>Because of the  recent study about Requip being a better bet for Young
>Onsets (holds off the dyskenesia longer), my neurologist took me off
>Sinemet.  He put me on Mirapex though, as he said that chemically it is the
>same aas Requip and he knows the  dosing better. Any thoughts on this?
>Sounds  like they both are dicey for driving, but I think the Health Canada
>warning bulletin was about Mirapex.
>Thanks.  Marg Meikle  43  / 2.5 mos. diagnosed, mother of a 20 month old
>boy.

if you need any further information
don't forget about our list archives
which can be searched either on the wwweb or by e-mail

abstracts of most of the studies on ropinirole [Requip]
and pramipexole [Mirapex] have been posted there,
going back a couple of years

trends that i see are:

1. levodopa is still the pd mainstay [for now]

2. anticholinergics seem to be going out of favour

3. the newer dopamine agonists have fewer side effects than the older ones
and can be useful as mono-therapy pre-levodopa for early pd
as well as adjunct-therapy with levodopa for later pd
[can you tell i've read too many medical abstracts?]

4. the comt inhibitors are a brand new option [still in the works]
and alternative to the above

5. and there are more choices coming...

janet
archive archiologist

janet paterson
52 now / 41 dx / 37 onset
613 256 8340 po box 171 almonte ontario canada K0A 1A0
a new voice: <http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Village/6263/>