        I have long used calcium-magnesium-vitamin E to reduce the frequency of
calf or thigh nocturnal cramps. However when one does hit you, a Quinine
Sulfate pill (324mg) has proved to be a reliable and very quick cramp
killer for me and many of my friends for many years. Quinine Sulfate used
to be available over the counter, but it now requires a prescription.
Fortunately it's price is still reasonable.
        The druggist's descriptive sheet on quinine sulfate does list this
property. For a long time its value in handling cramps was attested by many
anecdotes, but ignored by doctors. But it appears that there must be enough
accumulation of evidence to allow it to be recommended by some authorities.
        Jules, cg for Doris 76/6