Connie wrote in part--

SNIPPED
>      my question is that if he sits down to read or watch tv he very
>quickly dozes off in rocker.this drives me up the wall and i don't know if
>it is better to let him sleeping in chair or wake jack up and tell him to
>lay down for a nap.does this seem typical of pd?part of the reason i get
>upset is that his father at near the same age died sitting in a rocker and
>when i see jack the same way it scares me.incidently his father did not have
>pd
>so i wonder if this dropping off is part of pd.he does seem to be okay if
>someone is here or he has something to do.
>   should i wake him or let him sleep in chair.i realise that it bothers me
>more than him.give me an idea
>if this means he is getting worse as he doesn't go to doctor unless doctor
>calls jack and says he has to go for appt.to get a refill of meds.
>MEN!!!!!!   worse than kids to take care of.
>      sincerely
>         connie tate

This dropping off to sleep is, I believe, pretty common in PWPs.  I know
Peter can hardly last 10 minutes of my reading aloud to him before he's in
the land of dreams.  This has been true for a long time--he gave up on the
"talking books" because he never could get past the first chapter !  :-(

You say he is OK is occupied, and that's true for Peter, too.  Sometimes I
do wake him, when he looks uncomfortable, and help him lie down.   I think
in some cases certain of the meds cause drowsiness, and that might be an
excuse to get him to the doc to ask about it.  I understand the bad feeling
because of Jack's father---did he have a heart attack? stroke?  I don't
think PWPs usually die in their chairs, though.  If Jack looks comfy, you
could let him doze---or ask him (when he's awake) what he wants you to do?

Camilla Flintermann, CG for Peter 81/70/55
Oxford, Ohio

                        "Ask me about the CARE list for
                        Caregivers of Parkinsonians ! "