Lionel, I am certainly not qualified to address most of your concerns, but I
can tell you from personal experience that nerve damage is very slow to
heal. I have damaged nerves in various accidents, with the following results
dislocated pelvis, severe pain in lower back, numbness in legs and saddle
area I think you called it - put pelvis back in place with physical therapy,
and over a 6 -9 month period, pain diminished and feeling returned 95% or
more
Ruptured discs in neck, pretty well broken at the c5 level, pain and
numbness in both hands, lost use of one, had surgery, both hands came back
nearly immediately
cut off one finger, sewed back together, feelings returned over a 10 yr
period, about %75 now.
Crushed ribs in lower rib cage, tore muscles up,  severe cramps and pain
associated with it, continues to cause problems 15 yrs later
In general, I would suspect since the nerves were not severed, most if not
all functions will return
my best wishes to you and Win
tex