Joan,

Attached is an outline of some of the topics that will be covered in the
financial planning workshops

Thank you for agreeing to take on the job of giving the workshop(s) for
Parkinson Toronto.  I envision the following topics, among others, being
covered:

•  the possibility/probability of having to go on long-term disability
(LTD)
• implications of LTD usually 60% of salary, integrated with CPP Disability
benefit
  • Example salary $50,000   LTD $30,000 made up of
         CPP $10,500
              Company Plan  $29,500
  • CPP is taxable income
  • LTD is tax free if you pay the premium; but taxable if your employer
pays the premium.
    • in the example if you pay the premium, your LTD will be $XX,XXX
    • if your employer pays it will be $YY,YYY
    • which is a difference of $ZZ,ZZZ a year or$zzz a month
   • therefore if you have the option of paying the premium, do
  • medication cost can be crippling if you don't have a drug plan
   • find out the details of your company plan
    • is there a cap on benefits
    • is there a copayment & is it capped
    • you might be able to ‘top up' the company plan with the Ont. Govt's
Trillium Drug Plan
    • Does your spouse/partner work?  Can you use his/her plan
• What about your mortgage?
• What about your RRSP?
• What about your children's education?  RESPs?
• What about uninsured (by OHIP)  medical expenses?
• What about making your house barrier-free?  Is financial help available?
• Is it better to
  • maximize my RRSP?
  • pay off my mortgage?
  • maximize non-registered savings/investments?
• should I claim the disabled income tax credit?
• what benefits are available through the income tax system?
• What about Homecare?  Are benefits taxable?
• What about the Assistive Devices Program?
• What about participating in clinical trials as a cost reduction measure?

John, you can see that the above list of topics, which is by no means
exhaustive, would probably easily fill two sessions.  If I may be so bold to

make a suggestion, Arthur I. Fish, Counsel to the law firm of Borden &
Elliot is a leading expert on the law regarding health and disability.  You
might find it useful to consult him on the government programs.  His phone
number is (416) 367-6178, Fax (416) 361-2719 and E-mail: [log in to unmask]

Timing is as yet uncertain, but I would think mid-September to late October
would be appropriate.

John, when you have had an opportunity to review this memo, please get in
touch with me.

Thank you for agreeing to elp.