judith richards wrote:
> Kathrynne,
>     In your book, "Eat well, Stay well..." a prune juice cocktail is
> suggested as a remedy for constipation.
>     The bran does cause uncomfortable bloating and someone suggested
> using psyllium instead. If psyllium can be exchanged for the bran, what
> amount should be used in the prune juice, applesauce mixture?

Judith,
I would not recommend exchanging psyllium for bran in this mixture.
Psyllium must be taken with a large quantity of water. Too little water
could cause swelling of the product, with resultant choking. In any case
flatulence and bloating are possible side effects of psyllium use,
though these usually subside in a week or two (the bloating and
flatulence associated with bran use usually go away in a couple of
weeks, also; it's best to begin bran use gradually with a teaspoon or so
a day, and build up slowly).

Best regards,
Kathrynne
--
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD
Medical nutrition therapy
Author: "Eat well, stay well with Parkinson's disease"
"Parkinson's disease: assessing and managing unique nutrition needs"
http://www.nutritionucanlivewith.com/