Susan--

It's common for PWP's to walk like that, especially if your Mom took to bed
for a week and wasn't exercising.  In my experience, whenever I neglect
those stretching exercises, my hamstrings and lower leg muscles tighten and
shorten.  This causes toe-walking because the foot can't stre tch fa renough
up to get the heel firmly in place.

If you want to help her improve, get  her to lean her hands against a wall,
put one leg, knee bent, in front and the other behind and lean into the wall
to stretch the hamstring in the back leg for a count of 20.  Repeat with
other leg.

Another is to stretch your foot out on a low stool in front of your chair
and press on your knee for 20 seconds.  Alterna te legs for a total of 5
reps.

Last  one.  Stand on a step w ith your heels hanging off the front and
gently bounce or lower your heels as far as  you can.  Be sure to have
adequate support/guard rail.Feel that in the back of  your  leg?  It's
working!

If she can't/won't exercise on her own, you can manipulate her legs one at
a time  on your lap--too hard to describe here; you'd have to get a P.T. to
show you.  My husband does it for me as an extra treat sometimes and it
feels divine.

NPF and APDA both publish excellent range of motion exercise books.  Call
for a copy of one and get Mom started on a fight-back program.

Good luck and hang in there.

Kathy Kunz, sporting a new address: [log in to unmask]
I can't believe how fast that RoadRunner is--zap! and my messages appear.