My mother Joyce (70, striatonigral degeneration) is experiencing terrific
pain in her left arm -- the one affected by the disease. Normally, the arm
is very rigid, but lately it's been painful, too. While in the hopital for
hip surgery she had them x-ray the elbow, where the pain is greatest, but
they found nothing.

She describes the pain as a knot -- and think stress makes it worse. She's
tried Tylenol. Tonight she's applying moist heat.

I have two questions: First, does anyone see any reason why heat would be
bad for this? Second, does anyone else experience this knot-type pain in an
area affected by the disease? If so, any tips for dealing with it? As
always, thanks in advance.

Debbie White