Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 15:51:53 -0700
From: "J. R. Bruman" <[log in to unmask]>
To: Parkinson's Information Exchange <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Muscle cramps/Benadryl

wdramsey wrote:

> At a Parkinson's seminar I attended a former pharmacist who has Parkinson's
> said no one with PD should take Benadryl.  Can't tell you just what the
> problem was, but something to do with the chemical reaction it caused in
> the brain.
>
> CHET ADAMS wrote:
>
> > A recent posting suggested use of Benadryl to relieve muscle cramps.
> > Does anyone have knowledge of contraindications of taking Benedryl with
> > anti-parkinson medications, sedatives and/or anti-depressants ???
> >                                                  thanks...

According to the PDR, Benadryl is an antihistamine used to treat
allergic reactions and motion sickness. But those properties are
due partly to Benadryl's anticholinergic nature, which you will
recall was the principle of drugs used decades ago, before the
advent of levodopa, to treat PD. In fact, the "Indications"
paragraph includes a suggestion that Benadryl might also be so
used, as an injectable for those who can't tolerate oral medication.
The only worry I might have is, if you're also taking levodopa (in
Sinemet) the effects might be additive, so you should ask your
neuro about that. Cheers,
Joe
--
J. R. Bruman   (818) 789-3694