At 07:12 PM 9/19/99 , you wrote:
>In a message dated 9/19/99 11:16:16 AM Central Daylight Time,
>[log in to unmask] writes:
>
><<  Parkinson's is nothing but a damned
> > nuisance?  >>
>I used to feel that way, still do some times.  But who knew then that such
>nuisance raised several orders of magnitude could be so disabling and
>uncomfortable?
>
>WHH

Bill,

First of all, thanks to Mary Yost for calling the George article to our
attention.

From my observation and personal experience, most of us start out in
denial, where the disease is a damned nuisance and discomfort, and as the
disease progresses switch over to acceptance and start planning our lives
within the bounds dictated by the disease.

Some of us are smart enough to skip the denial step and start fighting the
disease soon after diagnosis and before the disease limits their ability to
do much work.  Alas, that was not I.

Once you have accepted the limitations, it would be unlikely that you would
of symptoms.

I was in denial from roughly 1986, when I was diagnosed, until 1996, when I
joined this list.  I continued to work at my own business and planned as
though I would be doing it forever.  Then I found this list.  I found DAPS
(Dallas Area  Parkinsonism Society).  I learned more about Parkinson's.  I
came to the conclusion that I would be better off expending my time and
effort on fighting the disease first and doing the work that I am paid to
do second - because if I did not fight it, the money that I made from
working would be of no use.

Janet Reno, it seems, is still in denial - denial, at least that
Parkinson's can keep her from doing her job adequately.  She is at a high
point in her life.  Presumably wants to stay on this high until 20 January,
2001, when her boss and she must both leave office.  If she comes out of
denial early and speaks of the negatives of her PD, she would most likely
also have to leave her office early.  I can't say that I would feel
differently.

I can understand that she might want to stay on this high and to deny
Parkinson's in every way she that can until this presidential term is over.
 I can understand that she might feel that she can do more for the country,
for herself, and for us by continuing in a denial role.  I can understand
that becoming an advocate for Parkinson's causes, in addition to her work
as AG, might push her over the edge and be more than she can handle
effectively.  Still, her courage to perform her job in the face of
Parkinson's should be a model to us of one positive approach to the
disease, and it could make her a more effective spokesperson for us once
her role as AG is over..

Let us hope that until 20 January, 2001, her symptoms remain of such a
magnitude of disability and discomfort that she can continue effectively in
her job. Let us hope that on 20 January, 2001, she becomes a different kind
of model to us as she joins us in a different positive approach and starts
to actively fight the disease.  Let us hope that if she waits until she
passes from office that it will make her a better spokesperson for our
cause and that she will become that spokesperson.

And in the meantime, let us hope that we have one great attorney general of
the United States and that she is a credit to the Parkinson community.

Art

 Arthur Hirsch {} [log in to unmask] {} Lewisville, TX {} 972-434-2377
 (nickname on instant mail, ICQ, and chat programs is cutterson)

   PAN Forum, other photos, and my approach to links:
         http://www.fortunecity.com/meltingpot/farley/817/