Date sent:              Sun, 19 Sep 1999 07:01:06 -0700
Send reply to:          Parkinson's Information Exchange <[log in to unmask]>
From:                   Carole Hercun <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Re: the embryo debate / if men could get pregnant
To:                     [log in to unmask]

> Hi Bob: But as you know, there have always been women
> warriors-from the Amazons to our own women veterans of
> "Desert Storm". Women have served in some capacity in
> every U.S. war, including the Revolutionary and Civil
> Wars, often disguised as men and actually
> participating in combat. There are 2 million women
> veterans in this country. And while we don't currently
> draft women in this country, other countries do, for
> example, Israel.                     Carole H.

I know all of the above.  I believe that women deserve equal treatment
in the military (some of the services do not yet allow women to be
involved in direct combat).  This is not the issue.

In the United States, women are not *forced* to serve in the military
(the draft).  Since they are not subject to the draft, the argument could
be made (and, BTW, I am not making this argument) that women
should not have any voice in debating issues involving the military
and/or conscription.

Thus, for me, the argument that men (because we do not have uteri)
should not have a voice in the abortion debate, is invalid.  Men are
required for making babies, and any baby which is produced is 50%
the result of a male contribution.  We are required to support the
children that we sire, and, with that, I believe, goes the right to deal
with the "existence" of those children.

So, whatever your position on abortion (and I am not going to debate
this on the List), the "rules" need to be equal and men should not be
dismissed as incompetent to take a position just because of
"chromosomal accident".

Best,

Bob

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S., P. C.
2500 Milvia Street  Suite 222
Berkeley, California  94704-2636
Telephone:  510-849-2555   FAX:  510-849-2557
WWW:  <http://www.dovecom.com/rafink/>

mailto:[log in to unmask]

"Ex Tristitia Virtus"