From: Parkinson's Information Exchange
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of
William Heitman
Sent: Tuesday, September 14, 1999 10:31 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Action on Udall Bill--feel free to
change and use this
(Mary's letter)

August 28, 1999
Senator Kay Bailey-Hutchison
United States Senate
Washington, DC  50510

Dear Senator Bailey-Hutchison,
As you may recall, my husband is a Person with
Parkinson's disease (PWP).
Last June 30, I sought your help based on future
constituency.  We plan a
move to Lubbock soon.
We were greatly encouraged by the expert briefings
we had last June.  Before
too long, this disease will be a thing of the past.
 Our researchers say that
it is possible within two to five years.
A major obstacle to finding the cure is funding the
research.  This is where
we need your help.
The nice thing is that by passing legislation (as
you have done -the Udall
Act in 1997) and funding its provisions (which has
yet to be completely
done), you speed the day when a great deal of money
will be saved.  As much
as 68.5 million dollars a day (25 billion dollars a
year) goes down the drain
while PD remains unchecked.

Thanks for the free pills, but we would rather have
the cure:
I am enclosing a picture of my husband sitting
among a bunch of prescription
bottles.  He has consumed all of these pills and
more since we started asking
for congressional help with Parkinson's research
funding.  He takes 19
powerful, expensive pills a day.  That's 6,935 a
year.  However, we are
luckier than most PWP families.  As a retired,
disabled veteran he is
eligible for "free" prescription refills on many of
his drugs at the Scott
AFB pharmacy.  We only pay about $3000 a year on
medicines now.  While this
doesn't totally solve our financial problems, the
savings this represents is
a big help.
We PWP families do not like to always be asking you
for funding, but just
now, it seems the right thing to do.  Mostly, we
want the full $100,000,000
promised by the Udall Act.  With this money, our
researchers can proceed with
all deliberate speed. The theme of our next
Congressional forum will be some
variant of "We gotta stop meeting this way".
Perhaps the one after that can
be a call to celebration.
Please do not forget us when you return to work
this Fall.  Time is money.
Time is also the stuff of life.  Please help us
save both PWP lives and the
government's money.

Best regards,

Mary F. Heitman, caregiver and wife of William H.
Heitman, MD (Ret.)