Barb, you hit some powerful notes with that idea, pardon the pun.
Unfortunately, some of us (ME!) don't sing well, have you ever heard a rusty
gate squeak? OKAY, now imagine that same gate squeaking OFF KEY!  However,
there is a lot of good music from "the old days" (Everyone is not from the
SAME old days, as you know!) available on cassettes, or CD's which can be
played on a portable, or if you have the time, put together a bunch of the
person's favorites, on one or two tapes. HEY,  if you want to sing on the
tape, that way it will be available when ever it is wanted.  My nephew has
gone to NH's with a few other musicians and played his sax, and it was really
appreciated.  If Sarah will tell us what year her grandmother was born, and
where she grew up, we can probably help her choose songs she will like. We
all have our memories and music always brings mostly good ones to mind for me.
Ken B