Important as this issue is, I suspect it is undebateable in this forum. I
say this because the two sides are arguing about totally different things.

It seems to me obvious that if an embryo is a separate human life, killing
it is the same as killing any other human and the debate should be about
whether we as a society can justify institutionalising the killing of large
numbers of our population in order to maintain the living standards of the
rest of the population (not to mention the health of some of that
population).

It seems to me equally obvious that if an embryo is not a separate human
life, but merely a piece of human tissue in the same way that a kidney,
liver, cornea, lung or heart is human tissue then the debate about aborting
such tissue is meaningless and the debate should be centered on the ethics
of organ transplant.

What is not obvious - to me or anyone else- is which of the above is
correct.  In the absence of a definitive, indisputable, 'moment of becoming
human' we each form our own opinion.  What then seems to happen is that when
these (in broad terms) two bodies of opinion clash, each dismisses the
others primary position (the humanity or otherwise of an embryo) as being
ridiculous and then, claiming the moral high ground, proceeds to conduct the
argument relevant to their own position.  With one side debating genocide
and the other tissue transplants it's no wonder the debate is making no
progress.

So it might help take some heat out of the discussion if we keep in mind
that  there are two debates rolled into one; that however well argued, and
passionately believed in, our own viewpoint (whichever it is) rests on an
unprovable premise; and that stating that premise as if it were an absolute
does not make it so.

It seems likely that this debate, both here and in society at large, is
going to continue - could we, at least here, treat each other with respect.

Dennis.
Dennis Greene 49/dx 37/ onset 32
There's nothing wrong with me that a cure for PD won't fix!
email - [log in to unmask]
Website - http://members.networx.net.au/~dennisg/