Ivan,

Your assumption is pretty much correct.  A half life of a drug is the time it
takes for the drug to reach half the blood level that it reaches at its peak
(not the maximum effect).  It may or may not correlate with drug
effectiveness (but usually does).

An article follows:

Authors:
Buclin T , Biollaz J
Departement de Medecine, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois, Lausanne.
Schweiz Rundsch Med Prax 1997 Oct 22;86(43):1693-7

Article Number: UI98045271

Abstract: Among the pharmacokinetic concepts, the elimination half-life is
most frequently used to describe the fate of a drug
in the organism. The fact is often neglected, that the half-life depends on
various physiological processes (organ clearances,
distribution, occasionally absorption or binding to macromolecules). In many
situations, the half-life has little to do with the
duration of the effect which may depend on effective concentrations,
equilibration delays at site of action, indirect response
mechanisms, tolerance, or appearance of active metabolites. Finally, the
half-life represents an ambiguous criterion for the
choice of drugs: short (or long) half-life can be considered either
advantageous or disadvantageous, according to endpoints
selected.

--

Charles T. Meyer,  M.D.
Middleton (Madison), Wisconsin