Sherry,
Sorry this is a little long.
but I only wish someone could have said these things to me 18 months
ago.  MY fault as I was in denial for a long, long time,

I was diagnosed 2 years ago at age 48 after 2 years  of knowing
something was very wrong and not having anyone be  able to tell me what
was going on..  It was a shock for me too!   I was just thankful it
wasn't in my head, as in imaginary friend, as I was initially lead to
believe. I was beginning to think I was crazy, so finally getting a
diagnosis was also a relief.  All  I can say ri that every time my meds
change, I experience some difficulty-- dizziness, nausea  unbalance,,
rigidiity, insomnia, any  one or in any combination.. Fortunately this
doesn't last more  than a few  days. It has been my experience that the
doctors are never sure how a person  will  react  to a  specific drug,
or combination of  drugs, (and  I've tried most of  them)  and I
personally think that sometimes they give you so little info to
get  true, unbiased reactions from  you..  Also from what I've seen,
each of us has a "personalized designer edition" of  pd  What works for
some does nothing for others.  I am currently revisiting mirapex as a
way to reduce sinemet levels. Alone it did little for me.  In
combination with sinemet and tasmar, I have been able to cut my  sinemet
consumption by 40 %.   For me,  there is always a trade-off between
effectiveness of the drug and tolerance of the side effects.

I,  too,  worried about the wheel chair and worse. (I  have been told I
have very aggressive case).  This  is something I
hope doesn't  enter  your life for a while. When and if it does,  I hope
you can  maintain the perspective that it is an  ENABLING   devise. It
took me, bring afraid to walk into the mall last Christmas to admit  my
cane was  no longer enough.  I started to become a prisoner  in my own
house.  I'm not any more!  I've even been  out with my young adult
daughters who are half my size. Life is not what it used to
be, but it is doable. I am constantly making adjustments, some very
painful.  But I have also found some rewards here in pd land that   I
might never have found elsewhere.

As for husbands, give them some time.  Our significant others are going
through just as many adjustments  and disbeliefs as we are.  And it is
just as difficult and radical a change to their lives as ours. I wish
every pd patient was married to a Robert because every day I am grateful
I had the good sense to say "yes" 27 years ago.   Thanksgiving 1999 was
the first year I ever really felt that I had something to
be thankful for.  go figure

OH  yes, btw there are those days when I shake my fist wondering with
whom I should be angry or spend half the day in  tears feeling sorry for
myself, asking why me, etc.  The only good  this does is get those
feelings out of my system or a  while.  Other than that  it is not
terribly productive at all.  It tends to do me more damage than good.
IT IS DIFFICULT TO BE POSITIVE AT TIMES, BUT INCREDIBLY NECESSARY.

I'll be happy to take this discussion off-line if you wish.

Cathy

BRENDA ALLISON wrote
Sherry,