Joan wrote:

>Perhaps my words were confusing.  What I meant was...if there is a
sacrifice
>tht can be made in a moral context (one that harms no one!) to alleviate
>human suffering, then it is good and right.  If it benefits everyone and
>harms no one, and is morally justifiable, then do it.

OK.  Thanks for the clarification.  We agree.

>However...the people who sell organs for money are making an individual
>choice.

We must be careful about discussing choice.  Some choices are really
non-choices because no other options exist for the individuals involved.
That's why the selling of organs is repugnant to me.   Those who have
ability  to pay for such a commodity will inevitably feel justified in
entering a market that trades in human lives.  Their reasoning will reflect
your own - people have a right to make a choice as to whether they wish to
rid themselves of a kidney (for instance) for a sum of money.   The sad
reality is that 1) the donor may be in sub-standard health because of
poverty and disease - thus potentially spreading infection to the desperate
recipient, 2) the donor's risk for death is greater because of his/her poor
physical condition  and 3) the true benefactor of such a trade will be the
black marketeer.  The book, _City of Joy_ illustrates a similar scenario in
graphic detail.

Some might argue that their choice is an immoral one because it
>harms and exploits themselves.  But it is still their choice, despite the
>laws that are in place to prevent it.  Poverty is cruel but prostitution is
>not the way to get out of it.

......and prostitution takes many forms - some far more destructive and
deadly than others.  A moral nation should not in any way condone such
exploitation.
----
Respectfully,
Mary Ann Ryan