Bev and Murph,

I agree also with Dennis and understand that you see the fetus as a human
life with all the rights and privileges of  humankind  He also is correct
that we see it from 2 points of view that will never be resolved.   Ethics
and morality are relative whether you or I like it or not. What prevents you
from killing me  if  your religion states death to infidels What prevented
the World Trade Center Bombing when people on a holy Jihad chose to bomb
it?-  nothing.  What preventented your ancestors from killing mine when they
refused to convert?- nothing and many died.  In fact the inquisition was seen
by some as the caring thing to do.  It was  seen as a way to purify
individuals by fire. What could be nobler  and more moral than that?

You can't say with absolute certainty that your concept of when life begins
is correct any more than I can.  It is an impossible issue to resolve.

In the case of stem cell research the embryos are taken from IVF couples.
They are conceived outside of the womb and then implanted allowing childless
couples to conceive..  Some of the embryos are left over and would be
destroyed.  Given this situation would you 1) Use the embryo's for research
and the development of cell lines,  2) throw the embryos out (and therefore
in your view kill a human being that already exists 3) See the embryos as
people and demand that they have the full rights of every human being and
that they be implanted in someone to carry them to term, 4) Ban IVF all
together and do with the problem (and prevent the birth of many wanted
children who would have been produced by that method.)

There are significant problems with all of these answers depending on your
point of view.  The Bible wasn't written when we had to grapple with these
questions. It is the record of an ancient people as they struggled to find
how to live with each other and their God and nature-  a document which
certainly should be used in conjunction with other documents  and opinions
from other peoples who make up our country and our world but it cannot be
IMHO the sole determinate in a free multiethnic society. The difficult
choices will have to be made.

No one would advocate the sadistic Nazi experimentation or the infirm or on
children.  They by any definition are living beings. What about the
experiments that many of us have taken part in. You wouldn't (except for
fetal cell research) stop them would you?  That is a slippery slope too. We
need to be careful about informed consent and what constitutes it.  Some
people say that because we are so desperate we can't give it even when we are
told what the risks are. At the other end is a tightly controlled Human
Subjects Committee which weighs the morality and the necessity of human
experimentation a difficult process which must take into account all faiths
as well as those with no faith at all.

Religion is a personal thing which must be practiced personably.  When one
religion tries too exert its superiority over another we are on dangerous
ground which leads to totalitarianism if not countered.  That is why I am so
passionate about the issue (in addition to the stem cell research which has
such great possibilities).

Charlie

--

Charles T. Meyer,  M.D.