From the interview:

> RENO:  Some days it does, some days it doesn't.  [Points to her hands.]
> This is the primary symptom.  Some days I get stiff, but I think that's
> from lack of exercise in this [right} hand, because of the shaking of this
> hand.
>
> Q:  Is that frustrating?
>
> RENO:  No.   I just think of what it must be like for people who have
> difficulties, who stutter, who have cancer.  And you think, Gosh, I'm
> fortunate.

Wouldn't it be nice if high profile PWP still fortunate enough to be
exhibiting early or early middle stage PD would preface statements such as
the above with something on the lines of "At the stage I've reached I can
still think ..." or even, in the case above, have added - 'who have more
advanced PD' - between 'stutter' and 'cancer'.  As it is Ms Reno has
portrayed PD as something less disabling than a stutter, something which is
not even a 'difficulty'.  God only knows how many months of profile and
awareness raising she has undone.   I would think that the PD associations
in the US would be justified in protesting Ms Reno's comments in as loud a
voice as they have the ability to use.

Actually, a more productive approach would probably be for the associations
to approach high profile PWP who take it upon themselves to comment
misleadingly on PD and request that they appraise themselves of the
realities of the situation before pronouncing on it.

(Note: I am aware that later in the interview Ms Reno acknowledges that she
will get worse and does use the words 'so far I think i'm fortunate'.  Sadly
they are used after the damage is done).

Dennis.
Dennis Greene 49/dx 37/ onset 32
There's nothing wrong with me that a cure for PD won't fix!
email - [log in to unmask]
Website - http://members.networx.net.au/~dennisg/