In a message dated 9/15/99 12:32:47 PM Central Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<<
 I think there is something wrong with the implication that "external"
hearing is
 necessary to get the proper feedback for speaking. A very significant
portion of
 one's speech signal gets to the ear via bone conduction.This happens whether
the
 ear is clogged or not. Just try to cover your ears with your fingers.
External
 sound will now be very weak but if you use you own voice you will hear it
very
 clearly. >>

I should have stated what I meant more clearly.  I know that one hears one's
own voice partly through bone conduction.  However, it doesn't sound the same
as when one hears it with the ears as well.  Dick says there's a significant
difference now in how his voice "sounds" to him.  Once the hearing problem
was gone, he found he could speak at normal volume again.

As I said, I don't know whether other PWP have ever experienced this, but it
was an interesting learning experience for us.

Margie Swindler