The replies in the recent postings may be strictly accurate, but I think
perhaps in some cases the problem may be more complicated. In
particular, the concentration of levodopa (as in Sinemet) in the blood
may be measured as a function of time, but the concentration of
dopamine produced from levodopa, within the brain, is not so easy to
measure. First, the concept of a half-life implies the *assumption*
that the decay in question follows a specific mathematical law. Second,
I've felt for some time (and I think some experts agree) that the amount
of dopamine in the brain has two components: There is a long-term, or
"baseline" part that is independent of medication and reflects only the
progression of PD; then there is the part that is *added* by taking
levodopa as medication. I think it is only this second part that obeys
the "half-life" rule of decay. Instead of that number, what I'd like to
see is something that indicates how much of any given pill you need to
take, in order to maintain a desired baseline level (that is, the level
you would find in a subject without PD symptoms). Cheers,
Joe
--
J. R. Bruman   (818) 789-3694
3527 Cody Road