Hi Don-- sorry to hear about your friend.
As for how to make the hospital listen about meds, the best thing we have
found is to have the neuro  or other doctor  WRITE IN YOUR CHART THAT
VIVIAN CAN GIVE YOU MEDS--EVEN YOUR OWN SUPPLY FROM HOME.   If the
instruction is written in the chart, the nurses should honor it--watch to
make sure until they get used to it.  The hospital would want to have meds
in your ORIGINALbottles that have the name.dose,and other instructions on
the labels---also a written list of what you take when.  That should work.
We have had no problem with this way of handling it in our local hospital
when Peter has been an inpatient.
If they ever catch up with you again, give that a try!