Robin,
It is very possible that your mothers age is a factor.  My surgeon never
mentioned age, but then I am only 59.  STN is still in the research
category, but  I really think it is going to be approved very soon..  At
RUSH in Chicago they are gearing up to be a major center for the DBS
procedures.  I feel confident that this is going to help me.

I was told this morning that I have to have a knee replaced.  I am sure it
is due to all the dyskinesia I have had in that leg.  Twisting and turning
all the time.  That pretty much is gone since my STN. I am still working on
getting it fine Tuned, but i am definitely improved.

I wish  your Mom the best.

Marty