hi all

At 19:35 1999/09/19 -0700, susan trout wrote to me:
>Hi Janet, To your question what types of research I am interested in,
>I am interested in biomedical research and in human drug trials.
>I thought I'd share a little about myself. I am a board member of
>PAR (Patients for Animal Research, through WABR, Washington Association
>for Biomedical Research)  which I became involved with through involvenent
>with iiFAR (Incurrably Ill For Animal Research). I got to iiFAR through
>dogs. I'm a breeder-exhibitor of Boston Terriers. One day while staffing
>a table at a large animal exhibit at a mall I met Patty Woods (iiFAR &
>PAR) who introduced me to the world of benefits we have from biomedical
>research, both for us and for our animals.
>
> I am a political activist, an elected PCO, and I have spent many years
>talking to our state legislators and giving testimony before committees,
>but not in the last 3 because of poor voice control and the whole body
>shaking to the point my friends started kidding about me and performing
>their renditions. LOL they have been so funny!
>
>Does anyone have any suggestions to contain the trembling that increases
>when under stress? I become so nervous now days that I shake literally
>from head to toes. Hands and legs are the worst. What about voice control?
>Pitch, volume, shakiness in the voice, tripping over tongue or tongue not
>moving with my thoughts...
>
>Legislative committee meeting rooms tend to be elongated slots with 3
>raceways to get up to the tables & microphones to speak. Please tell me
>how others deal with having to move about in close confines without
>tripping, stumbling, and generally making a very poor first impression;
>all this I can manage to do before opening my mouth. Opening my mouth
>these days seems to remove all doubts in the legislators minds that
>I am on something, or generally incompetent.
>
>Wish me luck, I'm going Tuesday to protest the work of a commission the
>governor appointed. They are taking  public comments at the commission
>meeting, and I'll be darned if I'm not going to be heard. I'll need to
>be standing, with notes in hand, and speaking into a microphone. Any
>suggestions anyone has to improve the presentation would be appreciated.
>
> Susan Trout <[log in to unmask]>

hi susan

i'm sorry to be so late in getting back to you!
i hope your presentation went okay yesterday!

my personal approach, were i to have to do the same thing,
especially if i knew that my symptoms were going to be obvious,
would be to preface my remarks with a disclosure about my pd

the 'psychosocial' article mentioned in the pienet/words section
of my website describes the pros and cons of 'going public'

i'm going to take a leap and post your message to the list
where you'll find lots of support and advice
[even though it may be belated!!  :-(  ]

yikes, we have a political activist
and an accomplished legislative speaker in our midst!!!

also, susan, in re research, the links pages on my website
have references to current trials and pubmed and other 'links to links'

janet

janet paterson
52 now / 41 dx / 37 onset
613 256 8340 po box 171 almonte ontario canada K0A 1A0
a new voice: <http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Village/6263/>