Will-- I think the idea of a bunch of questions focused on PD $$$$$ is
good--perhaps the national PD orgs could manage to get this going?  The
questions would be the same.,I expect, in every Congressional district--but
the answers would differ a lot !  Our own Rep. Boehner has always refused
to support Udall etc on the grounds that he disapproves of
"earmarking"---others would express their support, and this would give
folks some idea of where they stand.  If "big business" can lobby, I don't
see why we can't continue to do so !

William Harshaw wrote :

>Remember that politics is merely the art and craft of deciding policy.   I
>don't think P.I.E.N. should endorse specific candidates, but we could have a
>few litmus test questions for all candidates, for  example:
>1)    What are the public policy implications of neurodegenerative diseases
>becoming the second-largest killer, surpassing cancer, by the year 2040?
>
>2)    How would you allocate funding amongst the neurodegenerative diseases?
>
>3)    What are your views on the use of human foetal cells and porcine cells
>in research and clinical trials, and ulitimately in regular surgical
>therapy?
>
>Q2 is a real minefield.  For example, should you fnd research to cure MS or
>PD?
>
>MS usually strikes in the second and third decades.  Finding the causes and
>developing cures would mean that those who othrwise have MS - likely about
>three quarters of a million people would have:
>i)    career earnings on which they would pay income tax
>ii)    lifetime contribtions to social programs
>iii)    a normal family life, with children, &c
>
>PD, on the other hand, usually strikes in the sixth or seventh decades when
>the estimated milion and a quarter victims are:
>i)    past peak earning power, hence not a growing source of tax revenue
>ii)    are consmers rather than contributors to social programs
>
>Carefully framed questions will elicit responses which will enable list
>members to mae an informed decision

Camilla Flintermann, CG for Peter 81/70/55
Oxford, Ohio

                        "Ask me about the CARE list for
                        Caregivers of Parkinsonians ! "