 Dear List members,

At the recent 5th MultiDisciplinary Conference on PD in Sydney, I was
honoured to be included in the program to present my educational video on
PD called "Lost Voices".

 List members Dr Mitchell Mills and Kathrynne Holden gave me the courage
(and much of the wisdom) to write the video, which was first presented as
an oral "dramatic presentation" to health professionals at a course on PD
where I was asked to present on "Potential Minefields in Parkinson's
Disease".

The third time I performed it I begged for it to be videod, so that I did
not have to perform it live again!

I am very pleased that the health professionals at the Conference were both
moved by the video and excited by its potential.  Staff at the Concord PD
Clinic (Sydney) told me that it will be compulsory viewing for all who work
there.  Similarly, two nutritionists who were at the Conference agreed it
was a very important educational tool.

Our own Kathrynne Holden is "quoted" in the text, and was one of those who
viewed the video at the Conference.

Having tested it in the market - so to speak - I am telling the List
members that it is available for purchase. Please be aware that the video
has been designed for health professionals and is definitely not a video
for the newly diagnosed.

The Australian version costs $30 (includes postage)  and it is available
from the Parkinson's Association of WA.

In USA format, the video costs AUSTRALIAN $47 (includes postage).

I must make it clear that personally I MAKE NO MONEY FROM SALES, but $5
does go to our Western Australian Parkinson's Association and $5 to Curtin
University, Perth, who produced the video.

(I should add, that our Association is working closely with the School of
Nursing at Curtin Univ. on the second course on PD for health
professionals, to be offered in early 2000.)

Anyone who would like to purchase a copy of the video (and please, it IS
copyrighted, so do not make copies) can contact our Office Coordinator,
Jodie Noonan on PH: +61 89381 8699  Fax +61 89382 1149; or by email

 You can pay for it by your credit card (from the USA or Australia) or by
cheque if you are from Australia (Cheques payable to "Parkinson's
Association of WA").

I am preparing an order form for our Assoc homepage and will get that done ASAP.
In the meantime, you can send your details via email or to the address below.

Details to
Jodie Noonan
Parkinson's Association of WA
320 Rokeby Rd
Subiaco WA 6008
Australia

Following is a write up with more detail.

Sincerely

JOY Graham for the
Parkinson's Association of WA

Video: "Lost Voices: Hospitalisation - Potential Minefields in Parkinson's
Disease"  Author/Performer:  Mrs Joy Graham RN BA.  Produced 1998

This video is a unique educational tool, suitable for both undergraduate
and post graduate teaching in Parkinson's Disease.

It was developed collaboratively by the School of Nursing, Professional and
Continuing Education at Curtin University of Technology (Western Australia)
and the Parkinson's Association of WA. The video comes with a set of
questions for discussion following the viewing, an article by Dr Mitchell
Mills ("Safe Hospitalisation for Parkinson's Patients") and a
Hospitalisation Form.

When health professionals understand Parkinson's Disease, they have the
ability to create positive outcomes for the person with Parkinson's who is
hospitalised.  When that knowledge is missing, the hospital can become a
potential minefield for a person with PD.

The video is a documentary/drama during which the audience is taken through
a hospital "minefield" as experienced by a woman in her early fifties who
has late-stage and difficult-to-manage Parkinson's Disease.  She has been
poorly managed and is hospitalised with psychosis and hallucinations due to
Parkinson's medication.

We follow the patient from her initial admission, through a series of
mis-adventures, to her eventual discharge ten months later.  The story of
her hospital stay is realistic, moving, challenging and confronting.

Overheads which are interspersed throughout the story speak as an
all-knowing observer might, or as a living text book.  Since stunned
silence is the usual audience response to the video, the accompanying set
of questions provided help to promote discussion and to encourage further
research and training.