I originally wrote this for the people of DAPS in North Texas, but I became
so enamored of my own writing that I decided to offer it to the list.
Plagiarize it, adapt it to your own state, and use it any way you choose.
But let's get that money appropriated for focused Parkinson research!

THE TIME FOR ACTION IS NOW.
! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

We have talked for years about having a political action phone squad, one
that would spread the word when it is necessary to contact Congress to pass
legislation favoring the Parkinson community.  NOW is the time that we need
that "phone squad," and we're asking you to help.  Here's how:

1.  READ THIS E-MAIL.  Understand the urgency of  the situation.

2.  MAKE THE CALL WE REQUEST.  You and EVERY MEMBER OF YOUR FAMILY. It
needn't be a long call.  It needn't be expensive.

3.  CRANK UP YOUR PRINTER, and make a copy of this letter for every
Parkinsonian you might run into who doesn't have a computer or e-mail.

Here's the story:  The Labor/HHS appropriations bill will be coming to a
vote shortly.  The Senate committee considering the bill is meeting
Tuesday.  On that committee is Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison of Texas.

We - that's YOU and I - want to remind her how important it is for her to
champion the cause and to vote to appropriate the money to fully fund the
Udall Act - that is, appropriate the one hundred million dollars
($100,000,000.00) for focused spending on Parkinson's in fiscal 2000.

You are a constituent of Senator Hutchison, and YOU NEED TO BE COUNTED.

NOW                             continue....
! ! ! ! !

To be counted, call Senator Hutchison's office at 1-202-224-5922 .
Ask for Rodney Fisher, who  is the Senator's aide for medical affairs.
Remind him that you are one of the Senator's constituents.  Ask him for the
Senator's support at the hearing this coming Tuesday,  at 9:30 a.m. Tell
him how much we appreciate the support they have shown to the Parkinson
community and ask for her support of increased NIH funding specifically for
Parkinson's focused research.  If you want to tell your personal story,
please do.

We want to remind her that the potential savings to the U.S. Government
alone, resulting from a cure, is so great that this can be considered an
investment, not an expense.  And this is before one considers the personal
expenses it would save and the personal suffering as well.

If you prefer to send a fax, the fax number is 1-202-224-0776.  Better yet,
do both.

Among the people speaking to them on Tuesday will be Joan Samuelson, head
of the Parkinson's Action Network, and Jim Cordy, head of the Pittsburgh
Chapter of the NPF - both eloquent spokespersons for our Parkinson's cause.
 Also scheduled to speak: Michael J. Fox.

(There is a possibility that this may be on C-SPAN 2.  Check it out!)

Our second target is Representative Henry Bonilla.  We are not constituents
of his - in fact he has an oddly shaped district that includes parts of
both San Antonio and El Paso.  He also ha offices in Del Rio, Laredo and
Midland.  He is a key member of the House Appropriations Committee and our
appeal to him must be a fellow Texan..

Leave the message that you are relying on Congressman Bonilla's support for
increased NIH funding specifically for Parkinson's focused research as
was promised in the Morris K. Udall Bill that congress approved in
November, 1997.  Call his office at 1-202-225-4511 and ask for his aide for
medical affairs, Angela Rogers.  The fax number there, should you choose to
fax them, is 1-202-225-2237.

We would also love to have Congressman Bonilla join the Congressional
Parkinson’s Disease working group.

If either aide is not available, ask to leave a message on their voice
mail.  They will call back if you leave your name and phone number and tell
them that you are a constituent.

If you are asked any question you don't feel qualified to answer.....refer
the staffer to the Parkinson's Action Network at 1-800-850-4726.  Or call
PAN yourself and give them the staffer's question; then they will contact
that office.

Once again, these three things, PLEASE

1.  UNDERSTAND what needs to be done.

2.  TELEPHONE Hutchison and Bonilla in Washington.

3.  GET OTHERS INVOLVED too - especially other Parkinsonians.

...and then I thank you - but you'll have reason to thank yourself too.

Art

972-434-2377