hi all

the topics feature can be used in any we want to use it

my starting point was that this is an online parkinson's support group
so i expect that most messages will deal with that area

it is not necessary to have a topic named PD
that is the whole purpose of the list

the topics can be used for those 'borderline' subjects
which some members have expressed disinterest in
so that they can reduce their mail volume

recent examples of 'controversial' subjects:
political action
hobbies
parkinsaw
humour/pigs
non-pd news items
non-pd in general

the initial list of topic-names is my own invention
just to get us started

i see the majority of list-members
wanting to receive the majority of posts

the topics feature gives us
the option to 'pare down' the list volume
on an individual basis
as we feel the need

none of this is set in stone
we have 23 possible 'paring' methods
it's up to us to decide which ones are important to us
i.e. the ones we would actively use to limit our own incoming mail

e.g. a couple of years ago,
i would have eliminated all 'udall' mail from my subscription
i found i wasn't interested in it then
[maybe due to my fantasy island abode!]

a cyber-thread of messages may develop a life of ots own
and weave through many subjects

e.g. my 'pome' on estrangement
initially had nothing to do with pd
but then wandered into depression and tearyness
and ended up on the mars mambo express!

this is simply a tool
which we can use to reduce our mail 'burden'
if that's what we want to do

it puts the responsibility for 'censorship' or mail restriction
on the 'receiver' rather than the 'sender'

janet

janet paterson
52 now / 41 dx / 37 onset
613 256 8340 po box 171 almonte ontario canada K0A 1A0
a new voice: <http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Village/6263/>